Saturday, August 20, 2011

Another Step Closer.

LM-worked today, and I felt that I'm getting closer to the kids! Took all 5 classes today.

First group: Jun Le, Gabriel Tay, Joshua Chiang.
It was the first time I met Gabriel Tay today. When I first saw him in the class, I actually thought he was a girl. After knowing he was a boy, he looks like a Japanese kid. He has this hairstyle - short for a girl, long for a boy. And he has a tanned skin colour. Just like a pure Japanese kid!

Second group: Lynnette Kam, Ashlyn Eu, Aidan Chay.
Lynnette and Ashlyn were having a laughing competition, to see who has a louder laugh. Teacher M and I were laughing at their cute actions! Aidan has a new bag - Angry Bird, as usual his favourite.

*Lunch-ed*

Third: Ethan Tan, Xavier Lee.
Xavier came early and I was told to go in to keep him company because he was bored. We had some conversations. He told me about his school stuffs etc. I asked him, where does he live, he replied 321A. LOL. I was "wow-ed" when Ethan entered the room. He had a new hair cut, which made his ears to look more "flapped-out". Even cuter!
During the session, Ethan called me Mr Jasmine by mistake and Teacher M was laughing and said I've quite a few nicknames - Miss Jasmine, Princess Jasmine and now Mr Jasmine. Xavier and Ethan had a small fight/argument but it wasn't serious. They were told to write down some words, and Ethan had already finished writing but he was looking at Xavier's paper, which somehow made Xavier thought that he was copying his. Xavier covered his answers and Ethan moved and looked at it from another position. It went on for quite awhile until they had started to have some physical contact and we stopped them.

After the session, Ethan was waiting in a room for his daddy. I was standing outside keeping an eye on him. He then came out to see if his daddy is here yet or not, then I said highfive to him and we ended up having many highfives. I intended to have only one highfive but he seemed to enjoy it alot so I just kept my hand up and he kept highfive-ing continuously. In the end, I managed to stop him as I need to quieten down the other kids and he went back into the room. I went back to him (he was quietly seated) to let him sign on the attendance sheet and he ended up signing alot. The next thing he did was playing with some kind of telephone wires by pulling it. I managed to stop him. I stood back outside along the corridor keeping an eye on him, while he continue being quietly seated. His daddy came and I called him.

Fourth: Jonathan Tan, Eric Cha, Kai Xiong. *Disastrous group*
I was alone with them while waiting for Teacher M, and they began their overly-too-active behaviours. Once I entered, the three of them just started blabbering to me all at one go - Jonathan was talking about some grandparents topic, and Kai Xiong was talking about Angry Bird stuffs (I couldn't remember what Eric was saying). The great thing is that I am able to control and deal with them. During the session, I was guiding Jonathan and sometimes Kai Xiong, in the reading. We had some spelling games etc and Jonathan relied on me too much. I mean he listened to my words/instructions well. He was being noisy but he did manage to settle down under my control. Great job [d^o^b]

After the session, I was told to bring Kai Xiong and Eric to the toilet. They both ran off and I gave chase. I waited outside (they entered the Gents) and Eric came out first. I told him to wait together with me for Kai Xiong. He ran off but ran back to me. Lol. He then stand outside the Gents door. He "boo-ed" at Kai Xiong and ran off on his own. Kai Xiong wasn't scared by him though. I stood in front of Kai Xiong (also blocking him so that he won't run off again) and asked if he had washed and dried his hand or not. Then I held his hand and we walked back together. Wow, I was amazed myself as this is the first time a kid didn't run off and walk back with me holding hands.

Fifth/last group: Nicholas Lim, Napat. (A bigger age group - I think around 10 years old)
While waiting for Teacher M, Napat was playing this magnet timer. I took back from him and sticked it back on the cupboard high up. He managed to get it back easily and said, I got it. I was surprised, as I didn't expected it. He passed back to me and I put at a higher spot - at the high edge of the cupboard. He then said, I can get it. I knew he could only get it only by jumping. He tried tip-toeing but still can't reach. Nicholas was blocking his way and before he jump, I managed to stop him and told him, Say Excuse Me. He said so to Nicholas Lim and he jumped after Nicholas shifted his position. Napat then put the timer at the lowest edge of the cupboard. I asked, Why placed it so low, and he replied, So that everybody can get it. I laughed and put it back at a normal height.
Next, Napat asked, Can I have a paper? I asked, What for? and he replied, For drawing. I got it for him and he ended up folding it. I then asked, Why are you folding it? Didn't you said to draw on it? He replied, I don't know. I asked, What are you folding it then? He replied, I don't know.

During the session when I finished writing their names, Napat then asked, Why didn't you write my another name? Teacher M replied, Because it is too long. But I ended up writing it too while he spelt it out for me - Thongnokul. (Napat has a Thai bloodline, as from what I heard)

After the session, he was playing Chunks cars alone in the room while waiting for his mummy. I went in to keep him company since I had nothing to do. I asked him, Is it fun? He replied, I don't know. Then he began telling me how to play it while demonstrating it in different scenarios. Using the 3 toy cars, he explained how each situation occurs and leading to dead/crushed. Halfway through I asked, Why must the cars alway be crashed? Can they be alive? He replied, I don't know, and continued in the demonstration. Oh boy, how cute can he be?!

All in all in conclusion, I'm loving the kids more and more as each session spent together with them! Had more interactions with them, and I am so glad that they remember me more than the other teacher assistants. It's always so fun and interesting when I'm with them. And from what I feel, I think these kids love me as much as I love them too (^o^)